Malaysians love to travel and in most cases, there are the airline companies that provide some form of travel insurance when they do. But do you know that you can actually buy travel insurance independently which means you can get it from the insurance companies themselves if you want more peace of mind?
What does travel insurance entail?
Typically, travel insurance is an essential purchase when you travel either for business or leisure. As Malaysians are now travelling and flying more than ever, it becomes a lot more crucial to have this insurance. What travel insurance does it that it gives you peace of mind when you are abroad. Anyone who has flown to other countries will tell you just how some of the problems they face can be very distressing.
Factors to consider when purchasing travel insurance
Travelling can be daunting as you have a lot of issues to think about. When you fly to another country, there are certain occurrences that are very common. Among them include:
- Flight delays – Certain airline companies are renowned for delays. If you are only taking a single flight from one point to another, it is fine to have a few hours delay. But what happens if you have a connecting flight to catch? You might miss that flight and would then need to spend the night at the transit location. You might not have any additional budget for that. And we have not even gone into the food yet.
- Luggage – One of the biggest worries when travelling is when your luggage does not arrive at the destination with you. It could be lost in transit or just delayed. Imagine arriving in the winter of England without your winter clothing. This means you need to buy something to wear for the day and toiletries (as you are not allowed to carry them on board).
- Wellbeing – When you are travelling, your body might not acclimatize as quickly or efficiently. This means that you might fall sick. Medical expenses in other countries could be more expensive.
So, what should you do?
When you book a flight through Air Asia or other airlines, you will be offered travel insurance. If you decide to buy from your own insurer, look for the provisions offered by them. In most cases, they give you compensation when your flight is delayed for more than 6 hours. Some insurers offer compensation when a flight is delayed as little as 2 hours. The same concept is applied for luggage delays. As for medical expenses, you can actually get up to RM1,000,000 depending on which insurer. What you want is to find the highest compensation amount offered in each of these problems so that you can get the best care needed, should the need arise.
Travel Insurance Packages in Malaysia
Below are among the travel insurance offered by insurers in Malaysia.
- Etiqa TripCare 360 Takaful Gold – Covers your travelling against any inconvenience with personal accident coverage and up to RM1,000,000 in medical-related claims. Other products by Etiqa includes Etiqa TripCare 360 Silver and Etiqa TripCare 360 Takaful Platinum.
- AXA Affin Smart Traveller Plan Classic is a basic travel insurance plan with comprehensive coverage of any place in the world.
- Allianz Travel Easy – You get protection from as low as RM16 to help with medical expenses and most forms of mishaps.
- Tune Protect Travel Easy – Offered by the Air Asia Group, it provides peace of mind from RM14 when you are travelling either within or outside Malaysia.
- Zurich Z-Travel Diamond covers your luggage and flight delays. It is a great plan if you are into extreme sports as it has protection for medical expenses from these activities too. Premium starts from RM80.
- MSIG TravelRight Plus Plan 1 gives you the peace of mind with premiums from RM39 and coverage for the personal accident of up to RM250,000. Meanwhile, the MSIG TravelRight Plus Plan 2 comes with more comprehensive coverage when you are travelling including credit card fraud and such.
- AXA Affin Smart Traveller Plan VIP is a premium plan with high coverage amount for claims if required.
- AIG Travel Guard Basic would be one of the most basic travel insurance you will need from RM30. It comes with protection against flight delays, luggage lost and other expenses.
- Pacific Insurance Travel Pro Insurance covers medical and travels benefits from RM30.
- RHB Travel Protector Plus Domestic is designed for those travelling within Malaysia. This plan protects you if additional cost needed for medical, luggage loss or trip delays.
- Citibank SmartTraveller Annual Gold is very convenient as you pay once and get covered for a year. Premium starts from RM220.