There are no rankings for insurance companies in Malaysia. However, there are very renowned names that operate in Malaysia which are known for stability, good returns, and brand reputation.
Most medical insurance has similar coverage but makes sure you buy one which:
When it comes to premium, the more you pay, the more coverage you will get. But it also depends on other factors like:
Making a choice on which insurance company to use can be challenging as you will actually be entering into a long-term investment. When it comes to Life Insurance, you might want to consider choosing only the most reliable and dependable companies. We list the top 10 for you.
AXA Insurance is a member of one of the world’s leading financial institutions, they aim to provide you with quality financial advice and solutions for every stage of your life. AXA is committed to helping our customers fulfill their dreams and get the most out of life without worrying about their finances. AXA Insurance offers a wide range of Smart products that meets your Personal (Motor, Health, Home, Travel, etc) and Business Insurances needs.
– Prudential is probably one of the most established life insurers in Malaysia. It is part of the United Kingdom business and is one of the oldest insurance companies in Malaysia. It has more than 1,000 employees and more than 10,000 agents around the country.
– One of the most popular brands when it comes to Life Insurance, it is one with one of the largest network as well. To date, Great Eastern has more than 20,000 associates around the country. For Great Eastern, life insurance has been one of its best-selling products since it started.
– AIA has been around for a long time now. Life Insurance has been its flagship product offered through its tens of branches nationwide which is headquartered in Kuala Lumpur.
Allianz Life Insurance Malaysia – the Allianz Life Insurance is one of its primary products while it offers other investment-related products as well. In 2012, Allianz was one of the fastest-growing life insurance businesses in Malaysia and this is still growing.
– The subsidiary of Maybank and has a very unique business model. Unlike other life insurance companies, Mayban Life Assurance operates through the Maybank branch network and its specialists. This means that it has one of the largest networks in Malaysia via the Maybank business. Apart from life insurance, this brand offers other wealth management products as well.
– Tokia Marine is from Japan which has a history dating back to more than 100 years. In Malaysia, it has been around for well over 60 years and is regarded as one of the most stable life insurers in the world. Before it became Tokio Marine Life Insurance Malaysia, it was TM Asia Life Malaysia Berhad. The name became official in 2007 with the formation of the strategic alliance between Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd. With Asia General Holdings the parent company of TM Asia Life. As an independent life insurance provider, it has achieved remarkable results over the years having been recognized in for the Best Brand in Life Insurance in Malaysia by the BrandLaureate Award for 2014-2015.
– This is another brand that operates under a bank’s banner. Formerly known as Malaysia Pacific Insurance, it is able to ride on the success of its banking business in offering life insurance packages to its customers from all walks of life around the country. This is done through the Hong Leong Bank branches as well as direct-agents that operate nationwide. Today, Hong Leong Assurance Berhad is the largest life insurance company in the country and operates as a subsidiary of HLA Holdings Sdn Bhd name which is fully owned by the Hong Leong Financial Group Berhad. Life insurance packages from Hong Leong Assurance are catered for people at various stages of their lives. In 2016, Hong Leong Assurance was awarded the Domestic Life Insurer of the Year for Malaysia by Asian Banking and Finance.
– The Manulife brand might be quite new and recent in Malaysia, but it actually comes from a long history of other names that went through a series of branding and rebranding. Manulife Malaysia has actually been in the country since 1963 when it came under the branch of British American Insurance Co from the Bahamas. Many might remember the former John Hancock Life Insurance which was formerly known as British American Insurance. Today, under the Manulife banner, it has grown through a strong network of agents around the country offering one of the best life insurance packages to Malaysians. It now offers a comprehensive range of products in life insurance, retirement planning, investments and education through its other subsidiaries like Manulife Insurance Berhad and Manulife Asset Management Services Berhad.
– This is one of the most recent additions to the life insurance market after acquiring Malaysian Assurance Alliance Berhad a few years back. Since then, Zurich has been establishing a firm standing with over 1,000 employees and almost 5,000 agents around the country.
AmMetLife Insurance Berhad is perhaps one of the most established names in the life insurance sector. It started out in 1973 when it was known as AmLife Insurance Berhad. The merger between AmBank Group and MetLife International Holdings in 2014 saw the birth of AmMetLife Insurance Berhad. Today, it is one of the reputable life insurance companies that provide various types of products offered through the vast network of the AmBank Group.
The name Etiqa came around in 2005 after the merger between Maybank Ageas and the Malaysia National Insurance Berhad. The former, which was then known as Mayban Ageas is the insurance and takaful arm of Maybank while the latter is the largest national insurer in the country. The merger also included Takaful Nasional Sdn Bhd. It took them about 2 years to become one of the top corporate insurers in Malaysia being associated with top corporations like Malaysia Airlines and Petronas Twin Towers, to name a few. Etiqa’s range of life and general insurance products are offered through its network of more than 15,000 agency force and the Maybank branches across the nation.
There is a Malaysian branch of leading insurance provider Hannover Rueck SE. Operating at The Intermark in the heart of the city, this life insurance provider has been around since 1990 when it was a representative office. 5 years after that, it became a full-service branch. As a foreign name in the insurance and investment sector, it has a strong reputation among its customers, offering a wide range of life and health insurance products.
Sanlam Group came around back in 1918 when it started out as a life insurance company. This would be the basis of what would become MCIS Insurance in Malaysia, one of the prominent names in life insurance of the country. MCIS became a licensed life insurer in Malaysia under the Financial Services Act 2013 where it has since grown to offer an attractive range of products in life and personal insurance.
The Sun Life Malaysia Assurance Berhad’s name is sometimes perceived to be new but not many know about its exclusive bancassurance partnership with CIMB Bank. This means that it distributes its life insurance packages under the bank, which is one of the largest and widest in Malaysia. The name is actually the result of a joint-venture between Sun Life Financial and the Khazanah Nasional Berhad owned Avicennia Capital Sdn Bhd.
Gibraltar BSN Life Berhad started out as Uni.Asia Life Assurance. It was only after the RM518 million acquisition by Prudential Financial, Inc and Bank Simpanan Nasional in 2014 that saw the company changed its name to Gibraltar BSN Life Berhad. Today, it has grown by leaps and bounds as a life insurance provider where it offers these products to Malaysian of all stages. What makes the packages so interesting is that they are designed to be very simple and affordable. Customers can be insured through life protection, investments, retirements and others.
Depending on which insurance company you have a policy which, the claiming process varies. But they usually fall into either one of the two following:
If you have a minor accident or need some medical treatment at the hospital:
If you are a life insurance holder in Malaysia, COVID-19 is covered while some have given additional coverage as well. This covers the diagnosis of COVID-19 as well as death or treatment due to the virus as well.
All insurance companies will have their respective hotline numbers. Be sure to save the contact information and your policy number in your phonebook. Among them are: