If you have tried Indian food, you would know the dal or dhal. This is some form of gravy which is commonly taken with Roti Canai and rice as it is known for its aromatic favour.
Popular Indian gravy
This dish is specifically prepared with mango and is most popular as a southern Indian dish. Basmati rice would be an ideal accompanying dish.
What you need to prepare
Take note that there are over 50 types of dal and this is only one of them. To get started, prepare the following:
- Yellow lentils – 1 cup
- ground turmeric – about half a teaspoon
- 1 to 2 tablespoon of canola oil
- half a teaspoon of cumin seeds
- onion – half a medium sized one will do
- cloves garlic – prepare about 5 of these
- minced fresh ginger – 1 tablespoon
- ground coriander – half a teaspoon
- cayenne pepper – half a teaspoon will do
- 2 to 3 mangoes – peeled and then diced
How to cook
First, use the lentils and place it in a colander. Wash it and then rinse. After that, mix the lentils with the water, salt and turmeric. Put them over the skillet and boil them. In low heat, cover it and let it simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. On the other side, heat the oil and ad the cumin seeds.
Then, the onion goes in and let it cook for about 5 minutes. The garlic, cayenne, coriander, ginger and some salt then goes in. Stir for about a minute or two and then the garlic and mangoes are thrown into the mangoes for about 14 minutes. Cilantro goes in last and then it is ready to serve.