Yam Cake – Recipe
For the cake
– 1 bowl of rice flour
– 1½ bowl of yam, make sure to dice them into 1-2cm cubes
– 2 bowls of water
– ½ – ¾ bowl of dried shrimps
– 2 tablespoons of wheat starch
– ½ teaspoon of white pepper
– 5 shallots, make sure they have been finely chopped
– ½ teaspoon of salt
– 1 teaspoon of 5 spice powder
For the topping
– Spring onions that have been finely sliced
– Red chillies, also finely sliced
– Dried shrimps, finely chopped and fried
– Deep fried shallots
Method for baking Cake
Firstly, take a pan and heat it up over a medium high heat. Now, take the dried shrimps and onions and fry them for about 3-5 minutes, you will know they are cooked once they become aromatic. After that, take the yams which you have diced and fry it together with the onion and dried shrimp until the mixture browns.
While waiting for that to cook, you can take a separate bowl and start to mix the other ingredients together. Take the rice flour, wheat starch and water and mix them together as well. Stir the mixture until it forms a smooth paste, make sure that the mixture has no lumps. Take the flour mixture and add that into the pan. Finally you can add the salt, pepper and the five spice powder.
Now, all you have to do is pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl and let the content steam over a high heat for about 45 minutes. When it is ready to serve, just sprinkle the deep fried shallots, chopped spring onions, sliced chillies and chopped dried shrimps on top of the yam cake.